Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Clinical Neurodynamics Course Review

The last 4-5 years I've pretty much realized what I want from a seminar.  I want to learn something.  I want to be able to go back to my clinic and use the information right away.  I want it to spark some type of further learning.  I'm pretty happy when I get 2 out of 3.

I recently took Clinical Neurodynamics Upper and Lower with Michael Shacklock.  This course fulfilled 3 out of 3 in my wants.  I had read the book years ago and found it to be quite interesting and had tried to incorporate some of the info into my evaluation process when I deemed it necessary.  This is a very well taught course.  He has a great teaching style and I became much better at evaluating normal vs abnormal neural tension.  There is no substitute with having the author himself give you hands on on how to do a test.  There are very subtle nuances to really do the neural tests optimally.  This is something that is hard to get from a book.  The learning of how to regress/progress each neural test for treatment is invaluable in my opinion.    

I've found that great courses are able to be incorporated with whatever technique or approach you use in practice.  In fact, as I was sitting their listening I was able to see how several techniques I have an interest in are actually saying or doing some similar thought process without knowing it.  So in a way, it helped my philosophy on my approach to practice.  

It's interesting how martial arts and stuff like Scott Sonnens IntuFLow or Pavels Mobility looks very similar to some neurodynamic upper body techniques.  

This was the first I've heard of how disc and nerve root have opposite mechanics.  This was fascinating to me.  Extension of the spine opens up disc, but closes on the nerve root and vice versa.  Perhaps this is why some Flexion based PRI exercises have helped many back pain patients.  I will be devoting a separate blog post on the lumbar foramen biomechanics, so stay tuned!

Realizing that lumbar nerve roots can have 7mm of movement when both legs are involved in a straight leg raise makes you see how an L5 ELDOA technique can be so useful.  

It had me realizing my lack of blood flow physiology knowledge.  Understanding all that takes place with venous and nerve interplay and how that affects swelling and performance.  There is a dose response to blood flow on a healthy nerve.  The research is there.  Getting edema off a nerve and increased oxygen will result in less fibroblast activity.  Better tissue quality.  

I was surprised I was the only Chiropractor there.  It seems this is just up a chiropractors wheel house.  This guy lives and works in Australia so you don't get a ton of shots learning from him in the states.  That is a shame.  

I would highly recommend this seminar to anyone that was thinking about it.  

1 comment:

chiropractor st Paul said...

Treatments help relieve the uncomfortable symptoms of chronic stress. In addition, regular chiropractic adjustments can soothe the nervous system, and lessen the flight or fight response most people experience when stressed.
Posture is position of the body while standing, sitting or lying down. Good posture, also referred to as neutral spine, has many health benefits, including the avoidance of injury back pain. Chiropractic can help improve and maintain posture.